« Go to Milford Staff homepage
- Ph.D. School of Marine and Atmospheric Sciences, Stony Brook University, 2012
- M.S. Environmental Science Center, Xiamen University, China, 2004
- B.S. Department of Oceanography, Xiamen University, China, 2001
- 2015-present: Biologist, NOAA Fisheries/Integrated Statistics Inc.
- 2013-2015: NRC Postdoctoral Fellow
Yuan's current research can be compared to forensic science applied in marine ecosystems. Yuan uses DNA-based molecular techniques (DNA fingerprinting, Sanger Sequencing and Next Generation Sequencing) to examine community structure, biodiversity, and the interactions between aquatic organisms and their living environment. In a project that explores the effects of ocean acidification on natural assemblages of marine microorganisms, Yuan used Next Generation Sequencing technology to profile both eukaryotic and prokaryotic microbial communities under different CO2 regimes. Using high throughput sequencing on partial mitochondrial rDNA amplicons from aquatic environmental DNA (eDNA) samples, Yuan is investigating the finfish communities associated with different oyster farming techniques. This work will provide scientific evidence to evaluate the ecosystem services provided by aquaculture gear.