Research Set-Aside Programs
Research Set-Aside (RSA) programs are unique to Federal fisheries in the Greater Atlantic Region. No Federal funds are provided to support the research. Instead, research funds are generated through the sale of set-aside allocations for quota managed or days-at-sea (DAS) managed fisheries. There are active RSA programs established under the Atlantic Sea Scallop, Atlantic Herring, and Monkfish Fishery Management Plans.
The New England and Mid-Atlantic Fishery Management Councils (Councils) set aside quota or DAS, which is awarded through a competitive grant process managed by the Northeast Fisheries Science Center. Money generated by the sale of the awarded RSA quota or DAS fund the proposed research.
RSA projects are selected through a competitive grants process, with priorities established by the Councils. Solicitations for RSA proposals are posted at www.grants.gov, and distributed widely through Councils' and other NMFS public relations channels.
RSA Programs have a demonstrated track record for supporting applied research that supports fishery management decisions and improving stock assessments. Visit our searchable project feature to learn more about research supported through the RSA Program.
RSA Program Frequently Asked Questions Page
Current Research Focus
- Atlantic Herring: research to reduce bycatch of river herring, development of port side sampling to better characterize catch, exploration of ways to passively monitor net performance for a variety of purposes, investigation of video monitoring to document fishing and catch processing.
- Sea scallop: industry-based surveys of access areas, bycatch reduction, loggerhead sea turtle population information and bycatch avoidance
- Monkfish: life history, stock definition, ecological significance, bycatch and discard, trawl and gillnet gear technologies to improve selectivity and reduce discard
- 2018/2019 Sea Scallop Research Set Aside -- Proposals Due Nov. 6, 2017
- Gulf of Maine Sea Scallop Surveys Planned
- 2017-2018 Sea Scallop Research Set-Aside Recommended Awards Announced
- 2017/2018 Atlantic Sea Scallop Research Set-Aside Program -- Proposals Due Oct. 7, 2016
- 2016-2017 Monkfish Research Set-Aside Awards Announced
- 2016-2017 Sea Scallop Research Set-Aside Recommended Awards Announced
- 2016-2018 Atlantic Herring Research Set Aside Awards
- 2016-2017 Monkfish Research Set Aside
- 2016-2017 Atlantic Sea Scallop Research Set Aside
- 2016-2018 Atlantic Herring Research Set Aside