NEFSC Gulf of Maine Cod Science Plan Meetings
Atlantic Cod CPUE/LPUE Workshop
We’re hosting a workshop on using commercial catch-per-unit effort information in the upcoming Georges Bank and Gulf of Maine Atlantic cod stock assessments. Assessment scientists will present an overview of recent analyses of these data, and explain how cod and fishing effort distribution as well as regulatory changes over time influence the use of this information as a measure of stock abundance. .
This workshop will consider proposals and alternative hypotheses. We expect that fishermen, fishing industry leaders, state marine fishery biologists, fishery management council members and staff, and NMFS staff will participate.
To the Endicott College Gloucester Campus, 33 Commercial Street, Gloucester, MA 01930:
- I-95 North to Exit 45, Route 128 North. (Note that I-95 splits to the right for NH and ME. Stay straight for Route 128 North.)
- Go to Exit 14; Route 133 Gloucester. (Approximately 20 minutes)
- Go right off of the ramp for Route 133 East.
- Travel approximately 5 minutes until the end of Route 133. Gloucester Harbor is directly in front of you.
- Take a left on Route 127 and travel over the Blynman Bridge and continue on Route 127 for about 2 minutes. You will approach Tally’s Service Station on your right. (Note there are several curves on this road.)
- Take your first right after the service station on Commercial Street. You will immediately see a large mill building marked 33 / Chamber of Commerce. Take a right into the parking lot.
- Enter through the door in the middle of the building. Endicott College is on the first floor, towards the ocean side of the building.
Atlantic Cod Discard Mortality Workshop
The Population Dynamics Branch in the Northeast Fisheries Science Center is hosting a workshop to estimate discard mortality rates of Atlantic cod in various fisheries. This workshop will use the "Delphi" method to build consensus among fishery experts like you. These discard mortality estimates will be incorporated into the next Atlantic cod stock assessments. Your contribution is important. Various prominent industry leaders, fishermen, state marine fishery biologists, Council members and staff, and NMFS staff will participate in this effort.
This working paper provides current information on discard mortality. It will be helpful to review prior to the workshop.
To the Mansfield Holiday Inn:
- Rte 95 north or south to Massachusetts
- Continue to exit 7A Rte 140 south
- Bear right off exit
- Continue to 2nd set of lights
- Bear right onto Forbes blvd. (Cabot Business Park)
- Go through 1 set of lights, remain in right hand lane
- Continue to end to hotel
- Phone: 877 410 6667